One-fifth of Earth’s population is English-speaking. No wonder why as this is a language of international relations and organizations, trade and economy, multicultural communication. It increases chances to get a better education and a better-paid job greatly. The demand for different English learning courses and schools has expanded over the last decade, more than that with the digitalization era anyone can learn any language absolutely free of charge just using thousands of apps, channels, and dedicated websites on the internet.
Still, there are only 2 kinds of people: those, who find English super easy, and those, for whom learning is a lifelong challenge. Let’s clear up why this is happening.
Let’s Speak English? Easy Peasy!
Our educational system implies English classes from the earliest childhood. Many kindergartens and elementary schools offer optional English learning courses in a form of games. For older school students learning a foreign language becomes obligatory. As English is a language of science, it is a must during studying in college, and then, of course, it values a lot on the labor market. This is the main reason behind starting to speak a fluent language. Additionally, this is what makes learning English so simple:
- Ability to practice it. Lately, people started to travel a lot. It made them move out of their comfort zone and practice the live language.
- A lot of content is in English. Many famous YouTube or Instagram bloggers and celebrities are broadcasting in English. Many people around the globe are urged to understand them as well as to watch the premiere of favorite movies and shows. It develops listening skills and makes learning a language fun and easier.
- English doesn’t have either complicated grammar or word spellings. It is enough to remember a simple word order and a few rules on how to read certain letter combinations. That would be enough to understand written language and express simple thoughts.
- Many words are coming from Latin. This simplifies the task for those, who know any other language from the same group.
- This is a gender-neutral language, which saves a lot of effort to remember conjugation for different genders.
What Challenges to Expect?
Despite many opportunities to learn the languages, for many people, it remains a backbreaking burden. Here are the most common reasons why fluent English is just a dream for many.
- Lack of self-confidence. This is simply a fear to start speaking and making mistakes. Many people are so afraid to say something wrong that they would rather not at all. Unfortunately, this kind of attitude will not bring you to the next level.
- The same rule applies to a written language. The feeling of anxiety stops many people from expressing their thoughts in business or personal written communication. Thanks, today we have a little helper to spell check our writing online in a few seconds.
- Dialects and idioms make the language very different from what we are learning in class. It may cause some misunderstandings while real communication, especially with native speakers.
- Language is a living organism, which is constantly growing and developing. It brings new words and slang into it; therefore, it requires constant practice and knowledge refresh.
- Tenses. This is one of the most challenging parts of learning English – to feel a difference between tenses and to use them appropriately.
How To Overcome These Challenges?
The progress will be visible only after constant training. It is important to pay attention to all four key elements of learning language:
- Try to read at least a page of English text a day. Switch the interface of your devices into English. This will let you have English words in front of you at any time.
- Try to watch series in the original language. If this is a back-breaking task, then just have news or any podcast in the background while driving or making something around the house.
- Ideally talking to a native speaker will lead to brilliant improvement, but if there is no option like this, just speak with the other person, who is struggling with learning English.
- Use every opportunity to train your writing skills. At first, it may take some extra time to check the vocabulary, but this is the most accurate way to find problem spots in your language.
The Most Interesting But Yet Difficult Language Issues
Speaking perfect English can throw you a curveball even if you reach an advanced level. Did you know that English in London may be very different from English you hear for instance in New-York?
If you are ordering French fries in a British restaurant don’t be surprised to get a receipt for chips as this is the correct word to use in this part of the world. Or let’s say when you are invited to a football game in the United States, don’t be surprised to see guys running in helmets with the ball in the shape of a spheroid. What is called football in Europe is soccer overseas.
Be careful with so-called faux amis, words, which sound similar in your native and in the English language, however, have different meanings.
Stay Tuned On Learning English Every Day
Reaching fluency in a foreign language is hard everyday work. It’s important to keep the motivation up and make a regular check on the progress. Make this process an enjoyable part of your daily routine.